Why don’t people use the ball machine? Because they have to pick up the balls. Once members see they can spend more time hitting than retrieving they are eager to rent the machine. And that will increase your ROI!
The PickupWall is a valuable asset for your club or private court because it performs as advertised, returning balls back to the machine for continuous play. Its cutting edge design and superior features make the PickupWall a proven money-maker for your facility.
Do you invest a great deal of planning and energy into your tennis ball machine program? If the answer is yes, congratulations, you have offered your members another great resource to choose your club over the competition.
Check out what people are saying about The PickupWall! “Convenient”, “The Best Workout”, “No hassles”, “Perfect for a doubles team or league team to work on tips from their weekly clinic”, and more.
Why do you own a private tennis court? Is it the convenience to play when you want to at the privacy of your own home? What happens when you are ready to play or work out but there is no opponent? Enter, The PickupWall.
Tennis lessons do not have to be boring anymore with The PickupWall. With The PickupWall installed, students may hit more and pick up less. The Pro has utilized another creative tool for game improvement and students are appreciative of the efforts.
Attracting members to your facility is a constant focus of Board members, leadership staff, Marketing Directors, and of course the Tennis Pro. Use The PickupWall as another tool in your promotional literature and physical tour of your facility to sell your club and attract members. It may just be the item that sells a membership.
RETURN ON INVESTMENT
Why don’t people use the ball machine? Because they have to pick up the balls. Once members see they can spend more time hitting than retrieving they are eager to rent the machine. It is not unusual to see ball machine use triple or quadruple once The PickupWall is installed. If you set the ball machine at a 2 balls per second feed rate you would hit a bin of 300 balls in 10 minutes and have a retrieval rate of 15 minutes. In 50 minutes you would have spent 20 minutes hitting 600 balls while spending 30 minutes retrieving. With The PickupWall, 40 minutes of continuous hitting would yield 1200 balls hit, which is twice as many balls with one third of your time spent retrieving. What is the price for this convenience? You could easily charge double what you are charging now and market it, (not justify it), to your members. Besides convenience, time is money, and members want all their time on the ball machine. Now they have it. Market the increased time properly and members will gladly pay.
When was the last time you adjusted the price for ball machine use? Did the increase coincide with raising the lesson rate, string rate or a can of balls? Probably not. Do you not believe there is value or potential revenue in ball machine usage? Google the internet for Ball Machine Rates and you will find clubs with a low of $10/hour at public facilities and a high of $50/hour at resorts. The chart below illustrates a nominal rate of $15/hour and $100 for ball machine membership without The PickupWall versus a $20/hour rate and $150 ball machine membership rate with The PickupWall.
Current Ball Machine Program
2 hours/day = $30/day, *$10,500/year
10 Club = $1,000/year
Ball Machine with The PickupWall
6 hours/day = $120/day, *$42,000/year
30 Club = $4,500/year
With the example above The PickupWall would be paid off in less than two months. If the club still balks at this capital purchase, buy it yourself and keep the profit just as you would a string concession. With a life expectancy of 10+ years The PickupWall would produce $465,000 and you will be looking pretty smart.
Finally, a word of advice, if you read any articles about successful ball machine programs you will find they are managed properly with a staff member in charge of promotion. The staff member would send emails, design flyers, create events and educate members as to the value of the ball machine, and The PickupWall , just as you would any other round robin, Junior Academy, Pro Shop sale, or special event on your calendar. It is not enough to merely place the machine on the court and hope it is used, you must be a steward of the program. Seems like the numbers above are worth the effort.
Contact Us Today For a FREE Quote On Your New Pickup Wall!
DESIGN & FEATURES
The PickupWall is a valuable asset for your club or private court because it performs as advertised, returning balls back to the machine for continuous play. There is no comparable product on the market that does what The PickupWall accomplishes. Owners of The PickupWall receive a quick return on investment, years of use, a steady stream of revenue, and satisfied members and owners.
- 2 minute set up for daily use.
- Outdoor and indoor use.
- Quiet operation.
- Easily stored in winter and severe weather such as hurricanes.
- Weatherproof and durable in heat and rain.
- Located just 3′ from the back fence or indoor guide wire.
- Court is not disrupted for daily play.
- Captures and returns most balls.
- Maintenance free, no lubrication, calibration or cleaning.
- Two year warranty.
You take great pride in running The Labor Day Battle of the Sexes, Breakfast at Wimbledon Mixer, Girls Night Out, Color War, Pro Exhibitions, Memorial Mixer, and Season Opener. You advertise the Junior Academy, have report cards for private lessons and create a lesson plan for team tennis practices. Members enjoy the program you have created and are proud of their club. Now how’s your ball machine program? Do you place the same planning and energy into this club amenity as others? If the answer is yes, congratulations, you have offered your members another great resource to choose your club over the competition. If you are dreading the same member coming out to hit for an hour late in the day and you are hoping they won’t show so you don’t have to wheel the machine out and in, then why have the machine at all?
Read the Ideas section and borrow any of the programs outlined there and you will see ball machine use grow. Put The PickupWall on the same court as the ball machine and see usage rocket! If you read other articles in the Resources section you will see the return on investment is worth the effort as is teaching with the ball machine. The PickupWall will give your members something to talk about and as described in the Marketing article, you just might sell a membership.
If you embrace the ball machine and tout its attributes, members will play and pay.The older member who has difficulty getting around and may not even be able to play doubles anymore but can still hit a ball thrown directly to them will appreciate your efforts. The young newer 7 year -old who is all charged up after a great clinic and wants to play more will appreciate your efforts, as will the working member who just has enough time to fit in a work out but has no partner. Put them all on the ball machine! Place the machine where everyone can see it, and the fun all these players are experiencing.
Members will be amazed at The PickupWall’s ability to retrieve and the constant hitting from the member. Guests will take videos of The PickupWall and ask their Pro why it is not at their club. You have created a satisfied member. Isn’t this the goal of every visit by every member? Members who enjoy their daily club experience will return more often, recommend the club to others and grow the club. Satisfied customers play more, take more lessons, support you and the club in the Pro Shop and use the ball machine more.
Contact Us Today For a FREE Quote On Your New Pickup Wall!
I don’t know about you, but I love conveniences. It’s been a long time since I walked through my bank to do a transaction. Heck, I seldom go into a fast food restaurant to do a quick order because I love the drive thru. Walgreens has made their pharmacy so convenient that one may pick up their prescriptions at the drive thru window. Awesome!
The new PickupWall for tennis ball machine enthusiasts may be the most incredible new invention because it is so easy to get the best workout, and there is little to no down time. In other words, one of the biggest drawbacks for renting a ball machine is that the player must take considerable time to pick up their balls after the first batch has run out. This can be a big hassle.
After the ball machine has fired out all of the balls in the machine, the player must scurry around the court picking up balls, and perhaps losing the momentum of grooming out their stroke. It is somewhat counterproductive; the determined player has “fixed” their weak overhead smash and is excited to hit more balls, but now (is forced to) must take an extended break to pick up balls.
This amazing PickupWall allows the player or players to have continuous action for an hour or two with no hassles. “Our ball machine court sales have increased 200%,” exclaimed a pro from the east coast of Florida.
Let’s break down the importance of this new ball machine concept. Just last week when I was coaching at a club, students had to pick up balls with tennis cones and the archaic ball baskets. So, picking up balls can be rather laborious, and takes too much valuable time away from hitting balls and improving one’s game.
Here’s how this machine works. At the back end of the tennis court, there is a pitch set up to catch the balls, with an attachment to scoop up the balls and send them into either (directly into) the ball machine or huge basket.
As long as the practice player has energy, the machine will go on and on. This PickupWall is perfect for a doubles team or a league team who wishes to work on the tips from their weekly clinic. Need to work on the overhead smash? No problem. The balls will keep coming as long as the player wishes to go back and strike the tough lob. If the low volley is your Achilles heel, set the machine to hit at the feet and work for minutes or hours to perfect this weakness. Remember, the special pitch at the end of the court will pick up any ball struck to this area. Servers may use their basket and serve an entire basket and continue without having to pick up a single ball!
I have always been concerned about the down time in a tennis session. I’ve been using the ball mower since 1984 so my students will hit more balls in each class. Now, The PickupWall takes it to another level. This new “practice court” allows the students to have non-stop action for the entire period and it doesn’t take the court out of play for regular daily play. Students now will take their time-outs for water and a brief towel break, but that’s all. With this new invention, tennis player will have a quality workout or lesson that will be a breakthrough in the industry.
– DOUG BROWNE, USPTA, Director of Tennis, International Hall of Fame Club
Finally! A solution that allows you to maximize your time using the ball machine without wasting time picking up the balls. What an awesome practice tool.
– The Nord Family, Joe, Lisa, Jamie, Stevie, Marlboro, New Jersey
There are many ways in which your club can generate income and create goodwill with members from the installation of The PickupWall. Try some of the ideas below:
• Rent “dead court time” and charge a subscription or hourly fee for ball machine and PickupWall use. “Early Bird Specials” from 6:00 – 8:00 am are especially popular. Afternoon hours between 1:00 – 4:00 pm are also slow times for clubs. Selling as little as 15 hours of dead time per week at $20/hour will pay for the system in 20 weeks.
• Include complimentary PickupWall use with lessons to work on the areas stressed in the lessons. Empowering students with reinforcement tools to improve will quicken their progress and bring them back.
• In a typical lesson, 15 minutes are wasted picking up the balls. With The PickupWall, Pros and students can take advantage of a full hour lesson and closer interaction, increasing the quality, and the frequency of lessons.
• Start or expand your Junior Program. Pros know how difficult it can be to keep kids in a concentrated rhythm. Picking up balls, breaks the flow of a class and disrupts progress. Having The PickupWall allows Pros to keep kids hitting longer, leading to better outcomes faster.
• How often does it occur when you are stringing a racket members ask about their own strings? This product placement works with the ball machine and PickupWall as well. Don’t hide it on a back court. Place it in the highest visibility, high traffic area as possible. When members see The PickupWall in action they will want to try it.
• How often do members take lessons and want the miracle cure without putting in the time on their own? Combine a 30 minute instruction lesson with 30 minutes practice time on the ball machine and PickupWall.
• Cardio Tennis classes are continuous with The PickupWall. Players will pay more when they can hit more and the goal of fitness through motion can be marketed increasing participation and revenue.
• Videotaping doesn’t have to be a big set up and playback anymore. With a great camera on every phone, Pros may use members phones to record, correct and discuss while The PickupWall keeps the action flowing. This is a video lesson so charge more.
• Clinics can accommodate more players of straight feeding when The PickupWall is involved. Well organized classes can easily accommodate larger number of students without sacrificing the quality of the clinics.
• Do you have a discount lesson program? Buy 5 get 1 free, 10 % off for a series of 6? Do the same discount for The PickupWall use.
• NTRP clinics are more efficient with The PickupWall. Using The PickupWall with this type of program enables the Pro to rate players more effectively and quicker. The Pro is able to stand on the same side of the court and examine different strokes. With fewer balls to pick up it is possible for a Pro to rate eight people per hour instead of just four.
• Team building has never been easier with The PickupWall. Split the team in half and run volley or groundstroke games and then combine to hit at targets as a team.
• Sell gift certificates for ball machine and The PickupWall use. A great gift for any occasion at any time of the year for people who need the motivation and the time to practice.
• It won’t be the Ball Machine Club anymore, it will be The PickupWall Club. Place two ball machines on a battery of two courts. One has The PickupWall and one does not. One player is picking up balls after 10 minutes while the other goes on and on and on. What court do you think your member would like to play? What is this convenience worth?
• If changing the culture of your club to include ball machine and The PickupWall use is important to you it would be wise to involve the Pro Staff . Educating the Pro Staff of the benefits of using these tools is a good place to start but make it worth their while. Offer commissions and bonuses for The PickupWall lessons and use is fair to the Pro and beneficial to the member.
• Invite local club Pros and members to play on your PickupWall. You can be philanthropic if you want, or not.
• PickupWall Hype – In anticipation of The Pickup Wall’s arrival, send emails to your club members describing the benefits of continuous hitting. Offer pre-paid blocks of time at a discount to have working capital.
• Offer a 50 – 50 to beat the ball machine. Charge $2 – $5per contest per person for most forehands, backhands, volleys, scramble feed and target contests. Half of the pool goes to the winners and half to the house – you.
Why do you own a private tennis court? Is it the convenience to play when you want to at the privacy of your own home? What happens when you are ready to play or work out but there is no opponent? Enter, The PickupWall. The PickupWall is the perfect partner when you don’t have one. Walk onto the court, set up your ball machine, spend another 2 minutes connecting one end of the return tube to the lifter and the other end to the ball machine and you are ready to go. No partner necessary, The PickupWall is ready when you are.
The PickupWall is custom fit to your court and remains in place 3 feet from the back fence so your court is always ready for daily play. No worries about rain or heat disturbing the unit as it has been tested in the harshest conditions. Do you have just 30 minutes before you get in the shower and head off for your day. With the ball machine feed rate set on 1 ball every 2 seconds you should hit 900 balls in that time and skip the cardio at the gym that day. Very effective and a lot more interesting than the Elliptical. Call today for a quote to install The PickupWall on your court and never worry again about not having a partner.
Pros understand that students are all different and learn with different informational stimuli. Students may learn by reading, listening or watching but by far the best improvement comes from doing. It is best however to sprinkle all teaching methods into the style that best suits each student and this may easily be accomplished by close teaching. The close teaching style of standing next to a student with the ball machine feeding the same consistent ball and The PickupWall retrieving allows proper mechanical stroking, immediate correction and the best use of time.
Pros may demonstrate the skill for a visual impact for those students that click by watching the stroke performed and explain it in detail for the auditory learner. The following repetitive stroking is easy and effective. Setting the machine for various shot selections will lead to a demonstration and discussion of footwork and recovery while never losing a break through moment to retrieve balls while The PickupWall is operating. Since the new lifter technology is so quiet the only sound you will hear will be the sound of the ball machine and the Pro, concentration is maximized.
Videotaping students runs in fads and cycles and has previously been a hassle to set up and play back. Now-a-days virtually everyone has a phone with a great camera. Using the student’s camera while verbally instructing is a fantastic teaching aid. The recording is date stamped for easy reference and since everyone enjoys seeing themselves in pictures, students will play back the video many times hearing your suggestions each time. They will undoubtedly forward and show the video to others creating instant marketing and advertising for you!
How difficult is it for you to think of different drills for your large groups? Junior Academies and league teams may train with different hitting options for endurance and fitness under the watchful eye of the Pro while team building and having fun, without having to stop every 5 minutes to refill the ball machine. Pros may create contests and challenges while walking around the court instructing. Your creative, personal and immediate contact and feed – back to students will set you apart from other Pros, and members will tell their friends.
Do you run a cardio class at your club? Members participate for the constant moving and changing class and The PickupWall can keep up with any number of students. Hitting serves in private or group lessons doesn’t have to be boring anymore with The PickupWall. With The PickupWall installed, students may hit more and pick up less. The Pro has utilized another creative tool for game improvement and students are appreciative of the efforts.
Junior Academies and clinics may train for endurance and fitness under the watchful eye of the Pro. Do you run a cardio class at your club? The PickupWall can keep up with any number of students returning balls to a second cart for you to swap out when yours is empty. Talk about a continuous cardio workout! How often do players complain about their serve but don’t get out on the court with a basket of balls to practice? They don’t hit serves because it is boring and they have to pick up the balls.
Contact Us Today For a FREE Quote On Your New Pickup Wall!
MARKETING YOUR CLUB
Attracting members to your facility is a constant focus of Board members, leadership staff, Marketing Directors, and of course the Tennis Pro. Dues that produce a constant stream of revenue are the life blood of the club. Identifying perspective members and their needs are key to marketing your facility. What are the demographics you would like to attract to your facility? Does your club offer entry level play, competitive leagues, junior programs and socials and mixers? Some customers look for dining facilities, golf courses, pool access or a fitness program. Whatever the niche of your club, one thing is certain, people have many choices and are looking for value and amenities. Offering something that no other area club offers defines you as unique and customer service friendly.
Many programs advertise ball machine availability but how many programs offer constant play maximizing members time? Cardio classes on The PickupWall set you apart from the competition since it is a continuous work out. Offering a promotion of 10 complimentary PickupWall rentals with every new membership costs you nothing and is appreciated by the new member. Couple a complimentary welcome evaluation lesson with follow up play on the ball machine. The Tennis Staff must be fully engaged with new members and not leave them alone to find a game or discover the club amenities by chance. Nothing creates an immediate bond with the member quicker than a one on one interaction on the court with the Pro. You can get to know the new member and video the student as they hit on The PickupWall while using it as a baseline for their development.
How many companies use an introduction promotional fee to attract new customers before converting them to the full fee? From Sirius radio to credit cards to introductory tennis membership. This practice works as a marketing tool for the club and it is an added value item for the member. Use The PickupWall as another tool in your promotional literature and physical tour of your facility to sell your club and attract members. It may just be the item that sells a membership.